Section 8 Applicant & Program Participant Information


The Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program is a rental assistance program that helps low income households afford safe, sanitary, decent housing. Because the subsidy in this program is attached to the household rather than to a specific unit, the family has more flexibility in choosing a unit that best suits their needs. Within program guidelines, we can assist families living in single-family homes, duplexes, apartments, townhouses and mobile homes.  

At Randolph County Housing Authority, we administer vouchers to families in five West Virginia counties including Randolph, Barbour, Tucker, Lewis, Pendelton, and Upshur.

Eligibility (see below: Income Guidelines) for the Housing Choice Voucher program is based on total gross income of the family and family size in comparison with the median income for the area. Eligibility is limited to U.S. Citizens and certain categories of eligible non-citizens and those with certain criminal histories may not be eligible.

Payment Standards

(Effective October 1, 2016)

Monthly Cost Per Number of Bedrooms
County0 BR
1 BR
2 BR
3 BR
4 BR
Randolph County$564$595$687$859$1041
Barbour County$466$512$681$873$986
Tucker County$518$521$693$885$1028
Lewis County$557$560$734$918$1023
Pendleton County$521$524$681$991


Upshur County$463$526$688$899


Income Guidelines

Family Size1 Person2 People3 People4 People5 People6 People7 People8 People
Income Allowed$17,400$19,850$22,350$24,800$26,800$28,800$30,800$32,750

Information Sheets and Forms


Information Sheets:

Frequently Asked Questions

When can I apply?

The Housing Authority waiting list is currently closed. Please check back for any updates on when the list will re-open.

How do I apply for the Housing Choice Voucher Rental Assistance Program?

When you initially apply for the Housing Choice Voucher Program at Randolph County Housing Authority, your name is placed on a waiting list.  As funding becomes available, we will bring people off the list and begin the process of issuing them a voucher. Please note that once the waitting list gets to a certain size, we will stop taking applications, so it is very important to apply at your ealiest convenience.

When your name is taken off the list, we first ask you to come to our office for an interview. We will gather the information necessary to assist you under the program, including birth certificates, social security cards and proof of income for each household member.  We also ask you to complete some paperwork including releases necessary to verify income, employment and criminal history status.

After we have the documentation needed, we run an initial background check on all adult household members. If the initial background check shows any type of criminal history, we will ask that you be fingerprinted so that we may obtain a complete criminal history.  We are unable to serve applicants with certain criminal histories.

After the criminal background check is complete, we then make an appointment for you to come to a 1-2 hour class called a briefing.  During this class, a member of the Section 8 staff provides an overview of program rules, explaining the process of finding an acceptable unit and answering any questions you may have.

How do I know who to call in the Section 8 department if I have a question?

The Section 8 department at Randolph County Housing Authority consists of two Occupancy Specialists, an Inspector, a Manager and two part-time Receptionists.  We work as a team to provide program participants with the most effective, efficient service possible.

Generally, however, you should speak to the Occupancy Specialist assigned to your case (cases are assigned by the first letter of the last name, i.e. Jones = J).  They will be most knowledgeable about the specifics of your assistance.  However, in the event of an urgent matter that requires immediate attention and your Occupancy Specialist is not available, one of the Receptionists should be able to direct you to another member of the team.

Our staff is as follows:

Lisa Shaffer, Manager

Angie White, Occupancy Specialist

Heather Kittle, Occupancy Specialist

Laura Chenoweth, Housing Inspector

I have my voucher. Now what?

After the briefing class, you are ready to find a unit!  You may already be in a rental unit for which you can use your voucher. You may be seeking a new place to live.  Either way, your Occupancy Specialist will be able to answer any questions you may have concerning housing quality standards, affordability and can even provide you with a list of landlords in the area.

After you find a unit you are interested in, have checked with your Occupancy Specialist to determine the unit is affordable for you under program guidelines and have confirmed that the landlord is willing to rent under the program, you and the landlord will complete a Request for Tenancy Approval.  This will detail the unit address, rent and utility information and provide the Randolph County Housing Authority contact information for both of you.

Once we receive the Request for Tenancy Approval, our Inspector will schedule an inspection of the unit.  The inspector ensures the unit is decent, safe and sanitary within HUD guidelines. If the unit requires any repairs or changes, the Inspector would notify both the tenant and the landlord of such repairs and schedule a reinspection.

Once the unit passes inspection, we will schedule your assistance to begin!