Q.: What are my obligations as a Section 8 Landlord?

-Provide safe, decent, and sanitary housing at a reasonable rental rate.
-Ensure unit meets Housing Quality Standards.
-Keep your agreement to provide utilities as agreed to in your RCHA contract and lease with your tenant.
– Must accept direct deposit

Q.: What are RCHA’s obligations under the Section 8 Program?

-As a Public Housing Authority (PHA), RCHA administers the Section 8 Program throughout Randolph, Barbour, Tucker, Lewis, Upshur and Pendleton County, WV.
-RCHA helps tenants find suitable housing.
-RCHA verifies the tenant’s program eligibility (including income and family composition).
-RCHA inspects each rental unit at least annually to verify compliance with Housing Quality Standards.
-RCHA provides HAP payments directly to participating Section 8 landlords on behalf of participating Section 8 tenants.
-RCHA may be obligated to terminate HAP payments when a landlord fails to meet “owner’s obligations” under the lease.

View the Landlord Handbook online for more information.

Additional Information and Forms for Landlords

Lobby Hours

Our lobby is closed every Friday. We will continue to be open Monday through Thursday between 9:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. and  3:00 p.m.

On Fridays, we do not have a receptionist but all other staff will be working. Therefore, if you need to speak with someone, you will need to dial that person’s extension directly.

We will continue to have a drop box outside the front door if you need to drop off paperwork. Any paperwork received on Thursday after 3:00 p.m. will be processed on the next business day. (Monday)

We apologize for any inconveniences this may cause.

We require all current landlords to complete both W-9 and direct deposit forms. If you have more than one account, make sure you complete W-9 and direct deposit forms for all of your accounts.

Payments may be held until all paperwork is received. Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.

The Waiting List for our Housing Choice Voucher Rental Assistance Program is currently closed.

We do not know when the list will re-open.

We will announce the opening of the waiting list in local newspapers, on Facebook and on our website, when the time comes.

Tips from the Inspector

“Effective September 1, 2012, Senate Bill 597 requires carbon monoxide detectors to be installed in all hotels, motels, apartment buildings, boarding houses, dormitories, long-term care facilities, assisted living facilities, along with family dwellings intended to be rented or leased.”

“The detectors must be installed in all rooms in which a person will be sleeping that are adjoining to and being directly below and above all areas or rooms that contain permanently installed fuel-burning appliances and equipment that emit carbon monoxide as a by-product of combustion located within all of the above mentioned dwellings.”

The Housing Authority requires compliance with the law and all inspections will fail without a working detector in place.

Make sure your tenant calls the Housing Authority before making a move.

Payment Standard Decreasing Effective May 1, 2013

Due to federal budget cuts, effective May 1, 2013, payment standards will decrease for the following counties: Randolph, Tucker, Lewis and Barbour. The payment standard is the maximum amount that HUD will pay toward a HCV participant’s rent and utility allowance. The following scenarios outline how the change will affect your tenants.

• For tenants that remain in their current unit, the change will not affect them until May 1, 2014 or after.

• Any moves to a new unit, or any changes that are made to a lease that require a new lease and contract before their annual recertification, the new lower payment standards will take effect.

• Any new lease ups will go under the new payment standards.

The current payment standards as well as the new standards are listed below.

The current payment standards as well as the new standards are listed below.

County 0 BR 1 BR 2 BR 3 BR 4 BR
Randolph County $557 $612 $701 $878 $970
Barbour County $545 $548 $686 $860 $1043
Tucker County $564 $568 $686 $860 $983
Lewis County $600 $601 $718 $900 $1091
Pendleton County $549 $552 $686 $992 $1206
Upshur County $466 $561 $705 $909 $1201